...I've been inspired to write this blog I am about to write.
I came across a lady's blog about being frugal..it was an eye opener!
She takes pictures weekly of the food that has gone bad in her house, it helps her realize how much money she is wasting. I LOVE IT!!!
UGH, I am probably the worst wasteful person there is..and I am not exaggerating!
Growing up, we weren't rich by any means..just the average family...well kind of! ha!
Anyways, my mom didn't practice good thrifty saving ways AT ALL! She liked to spend her money on whatever she pleased! Unfortunately I inherited her ways. :(
I admit, I like to be pampered and am very spoiled. I know it affects JJ in so many ways because we're not wealthy by any means! I have an addiction to spending money..a true addiction that I am getting help for. I use to think it was soooo Paris Hilton to be able to buy lavish things and be able to get my nails done whenever I wanted..then I slowly started to realize it's affecting my family..more so JJ. Yet, he still buys me what I want..basically to get me to shut up from my whining, yes I am 23 yrs. old and I still throw "tantrums" if I can't get something. I know some of you are thinking.."what a bitch!" or "you're ridiculous, grow up!" I wish it were that easy..I hate being known as a "gold digger." It hurts. I've explained to JJ that I am not being selfish on purpose..I think he's kind of starting to realize I really do have a problem. I'm ashamed of the debt I've put him in and won't admit to the world all my mistakes but felt I needed to explain my shopping habits and why this specific blog is important to me and why I need to do it!
Before I started this blog I should have been a bit more organized with my stats/info. but I will proceed anyways...I think last week we spent roughly $230 on our grocery bill BUT that included products such as: diapers, wipes, shampoo, cleaning supplies, etc.
After our grocery trip this week I will put up what we spend and our total bill. I'd be interested in hearing about other families grocery bills and what they purchase for their meals for the week!
We grocery shop weekly..so we spend about $920/month give or take at Walmart. Is that more then most families or average? Please, I'd love to know your grocery bills!
Anyways, enough with my rambling...here I will finish off with a picture of what has gone bad in my refrigerator this week. Whoafta, I think I just wasted about $12(bag of carrots, 1 pound of hamburger, 2 bags of bagels)..I can see how quickly the dollar amounts can add up! SCARY, truly scary!

Hey Courtney, it's been a while. I just looked over our bank acct for December, and it looks like we spent about $500 on groceries/household items that month. ...That seems low, though. I usually budget for $200/week. The tricky thing about doing your shopping at Warmart is it's easy to grab a bottle of nailpolish & a magazine or a CD while you're there, and it looks like all the money was spent on groceries, but some of it went to stuff you don't really need.
ReplyDelete...I'm trying to think of money-saving tips... If you plan out your meals for the week before you go grocery shopping, one way to eliminate waste is to plan meals that include some of the same ingredients - like, if you buy cauliflower use it in a stir-fry one night and in soup the next. That way you end up buying fewer items, and don't end up using half of stuff and throwing the rest away.
.. This is my first time reading all of your blogs! I must say they are all quite interesting! I of course came on here to read up more about the H1N1 blog you had told me about. However, I started to get caught up in this one of yours!
ReplyDeleteI have spoken to soo many people on the whole "grocery budget". From day one of Danny and I being together we have NEVER spent very much on groceries! Not so much because we didn't want to but, because we finacially couldn't afford it. For whatever reason I have carried this habbit over the past years and have only bumped our budget in that department ONCE!
Once Kiarah was born, and started to grow we knew we needed a bit bigger budget in that area! Even so at that point, I laugh at how little we spend .. We go grocery shopping every two weeks when we get paid. On those weeks that we do go we only spend $100.00 (give or take a few dollars). It's so crazy to think that a family of 3 survives on this little amount! Keep in mind as you had mentioned this includes house/cleaning products as well!
We somehow find a way to spread our money to the fullest each month! and for the time being it has thank-fully worked out for us. Very interesting to take a look at other families and their budgets! I liked the blog :) I'll quit rambling now..
..Sorry girls, I JUST now seen I received comments on here, it doesn't alert you when you get one! LOL
ReplyDeleteObviously I'm new to all this..
Thanks for the letting me on on your grocery shopping and allowance towards it!!
I actually do plan out meals for the most part and do go to the store with a list but then I always grab extra!
I never put snacks or junk food on my grocery list...IDK, I'm just a horrible shopper!
BUT I really got to figure something out!