Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Placenta encapsulation




..I've been doing a lot of online researching about childbirth and everything that comes with it! I've also watched a few documentaries on natural labor and doing a home birth.
I'm not interested in doing a home birth myself but I think it's an amazing thing, just not for me. However, I want everything to be as natural as possible, as I did with my last two deliveries...I do NOT want pain medication during labor..I want nothing. That is my goal this time around as well..I just don't believe whole hearted in pain management, it has A LOT of side effects that to me aren't worth risking. I am not by any means putting down women who do need an epidural or any other pain medication because it is a very painful process and not all of us tolerate pain the same way. Thankfully I have a high pain tolerance and was able to focus and get through both of my labor and deliveries natural. It takes a lot of will power and strength!

So, after reading things the natural way, I came across some info about placenta encapsulation.

What is placenta encapsulation? Placental encapsulation is the process of dehydrating the placenta, grinding it to a powder and encapsulating it into pills. It is for the woman to take in her postpartum recovery after childbirth.


What are the benefits?
*helps balance hormones
*enhances milk supply
*increases energy
*prevents baby blues and postpartum depression
*shortens post partum bleeding
*brings body back into balance
*increases iron levels
*assists uterus to return to size


It really makes sense to do this! You, as a woman are the one who made this special organ, the placenta. It's full of nutrients and hormones. So when you deliver the placenta which usually occurs about 5-30 minutes after you've delivered your baby...you begin to lose a lot of hormones, blood, and energy.
So by ingesting your placenta, that is completely natural and it's FULL of feel good hormones...you are greatly helping your post partum recovery in many ways! There's soooo many benefits.

I know a lot of people are grossed out by this but when it's put into capsules it's a lot easier to handle!

The Chinese swear by this in their traditional Chinese medicine. And I'm one who truly believes in TCM! I'm not going to get into detail about how healthy most Chinese people are...but they take their health very seriously and I really envy that!

I think all pregnant women and women who are planning to start a family should look into this, do your research...it may not be for you but at least you looked into it!

I found a lady in my area who specializes in this and the total cost is $200. She also does placenta prints and also dries the baby's umbilical cord to save for a keepsake for free. If you're interested in this they have directories online for specialists in your area. Check it out!!!!! :o)




3 comments:

  1. I just finished my pills actually! I can tell you first hand how great I felt post-partum because of placenta encapsulation. I'm glad you're considering it and I look forward to reading about your experience.

    Here's my post about it: http://followk.blogspot.com/2011/03/placenta-encapsulation.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. While this probably grosses a lot of people out, they could all just watch Food Inc. and see how much their every day food is DISGUSTING... right? Sounds like a no brainer to me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsi...oh my goodness, I know! Totally agree!
    Everyone needs to watch that, really makes you re think what you're putting into your body!

    K, thank you sooo much for sharing, I just read your post on it..I'm anxious to try it out!
    I always thought the same thing as well..most all mama mammals eat their placenta after birth, there's a reason for it! Although I would NEVER even consider to eat mine, I do believe in putting it into pill form! :P

    ReplyDelete

Love will keep us together

Followers