Sunday, January 24, 2010

Love Know's No Gender.

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines



I am truly inspired to write this blog about gay rights.
This is a very personal subject for me and also my family. I've always been for gay rights and marriage ever since I was able to understand the meaning. But more so now that one of my closet family members is proud to announce she is gay, my sister.
I want to write this in hopes that someone else is reading this and is in my situation and that just wants to know how this has affected our family.

Let me explain my sister a little bit. Would you believe me if I told you I had known she was gay ever since she was little? I know there's no radar to detect a person that is gay but looking back it all makes sense as to why my sister was the was she was. She was a different little girl from the beginning, not different, but special. I can't explain it in words for you to understand, even if I could it doesn't necessarily mean that is why she is now gay. So I will skip over those details.

How we found out the news..it was December 2008 right before Christmas. Actually it was like 2 hours before our annual family Christmas party. Perfect timing Lindsay! NOT. LOL. Anyways, my sister decided to let me be the first to know and when she told me I was not one bit surprised..honestly. I knew it deep down. I was just waiting for her to come out with it. Now the hard part..I was sworn into secrecy. I could not tell anyone else in my family, she was not ready to tell the rest of them, UGHHHHHH. This killed me to keep this, especially from our own mother. Do you know how long I had to keep this in? TWO MONTHS!!!! I finally told my sister "Lindsay, you have accepted for yourself, I have accepted you, you need to tell everyone else or I will." I was a little upset that she was making me keep this secret but then again I knew how hard it had to have been on her. So in February she finally told my mom. As you would expect most parents, my mom was devastated. Asking why? how? What did I do wrong? My mom and I spent what seemed to be hours on the phone...all I could tell my mom was it was not her fault, she was not a bad mother because of her daughter's orientation. I personally believe you're born who you are sexually. I do not believe the environment contributes to someone becoming gay, I know most Gay's are proud to be who they are but in all honesty I highly doubt they'd choose this if they had a choice BUT it's a crazy little thing called LOVE and frankly, you have nooooo control when it comes to LOVE!

So, back to my family and their thoughts on this..for weeks my mom was calling me just to talk and wanted to hear my opinions on this and I basically just told her she just needed to accept and be proud of Lindsay. She is obviously proud of her daughter, loves her unconditionally, but was still disgusted over this. It took her awhile to get use to the thought of calling one of her children gay and one her biggest fears is my sister bringing home a girlfriend, which hasn't happened yet.
But now that it's been almost a year my mom has accepted the fact and hasn't really talked much about it, she now knows that this is who Lindsay is.
At first she thought this was just a phase, that Lindsay was confused and that she may have just been doing it because guys think it's hot or what have you..I don't know..I think she was trying to think of every excuse to check off that her daughter was NOT gay.

Anyways, regardless of Lindsay's hair color, style, choice in music, or orientation..we still love her just as much and are very proud of her! She's our smarty pants with no common sense! bahahaha. KIDDING. But we are very proud of her, more so that she went onto to College and is in her junior year at Gustavus..to be a high school English teacher.

If anyone has questions regarding this subject for me OR my sister, let me know..I will gladly answer most anything as I probably left out a few important points that should have been in here but I can't think much more at the moment. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love will keep us together

Followers